On Wednesday 2 of April 2014 the Victorian Government introduced a new legislation – Local Government Amendment (Governance and Conduct) Bill 2. The bill is reviewed and considered before it can become Law.
It is claimed these reforms will ensure good conduct by Councillors as well as ensuring councils fulfil their responsibilities appropriately. “Victorians should know that they can trust their elected council representatives and feel confident there are effective measures in place to deal appropriately and quickly with any instance of poor conduct and performance,” Mr Bull said – Minister for Local Government.
How would this affect your Local Council? Here are some changes that will impact Councils:
- The Mayor will need to provide guidance and ensure good working relations among Councillors and is the main spokesperson for the council
- Councils will have to introduce a CEO Employment matters committee which will provide advice on all contractual matters relating to the CEO’s employment
- Councillor conduct panels members will be chosen from a list of people appointed by the Minister for Local Government
- The Act will introduce new criminal offences for unlawful direction of council staff and release of confidential information
- The chairperson of the audit committee can only be a person who is not a Councillor or a member of staff
- Councillors will not be able to nominate council funds to a person, organisation or to a fund
- The oath of office will include the promise that Councillors will need to follow the conduct principles and the chairperson will need to recite the oath at the start of each council meeting
- After an election, an elected Councillor will be required to complete a councillor induction program
For more info on this new legislation please clink on links provided: