The email below was sent to candidates standing for the forthcoming State Election in lower house seats that include parts of the City of Monash. Replies will be posted as comments below as they are received: https://monashandyou.wordpress.com/2014/11/15/a-letter-to-candidates-for-the-upcoming-state-election/#comments
|RYAN, Gavin||Australian Labor Partyemail@example.com|
|STUART, Beck||Australian Greens||Beck.Stuart@vic.greens.org.au|
|Australian Labor Party||Hong.Lim@vic.alp.org.au|
|TALBOT, James||Australian Greensfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|VASSILIOU, Melanie||Rise Up Australiaemail@example.com|
|RICHARDS, Pauline||Australian Labor Partyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|ATKINSON, Brewis||Australian Greens||Brewis.Atkinson@vic.greens.org.au|
|ROGERS, Kane||Animal Justice Partyemail@example.com|
|MADDISON, Lynne||Australian Christiansfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|ROSS, Wendy||Family Firstemail@example.com|
|RAJ KHANGURE, Perky||Australian Greensfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|YANG, Jennifer||Australian Labor Partyemail@example.com|
|Australian Labor Partyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|FERGEUS, Josh replied||Australian Greensemail@example.com|
|FENN, Norman||Family Firstfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|WOOD, Maree||Rise Up Australiaemail@example.com|
(retiring this election)
|Australian Labor Party|
|Australian Labor Partyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MERRIEL, Steven||Australian Greens||Steven.Merriel@vic.greens.org.au|
You have nominated for a State District which includes part of the City of Monash. Empowering Monash and You is a citizens group which seeks to inform and empower residents of Monash in relation to matters which affect the way we are governed. We are inviting all candidates to comment on matters of specific interest to residents of the City of Monash. Your answers will be published, unedited, on our website at https://monashandyou.wordpress.com/ below a copy of this invitation.
1. Monash is presently experiencing a growth in population and consequent boost in residential property development. There is concern within the community about the impact this will have on the residential amenity of our city and about who will profit from this development. If elected, what actions will you take to address these concerns and ensure that the City of Monash remains the desirable place to live which attracted so many current residents to the city?
2. The City of Monash has recognised that livability has many aspects. One of these is sustainable transport which must be affordable, must access origins and destinations conveniently, must be safe and must be available at the times people need to travel. If elected, what steps will you take to ensure residents of the City of Monash have access to safe, affordable and effectively appropriate alternatives to travel by private motor car?
3. Our city includes cultural and religious diversity in the population. If elected, how will you ensure the rights of all residents, new immigrant or fourth or more generation resident, are treated with equal respect?
4. The Monash City Council has discussed bans on smoking in outdoor eating areas (including outdoor tables at cafes and restaurants). Without support from the State Government, individual councils are concerned that such measures may disadvantage traders near municipal boundaries as clientele opt to frequent businesses across the road. Some residents support and some oppose the bans. If elected, what action will you take in relation to smoking in outdoor dining areas?
5. EM&U is interested in promoting and protecting quality of care for our aging population. Please comment on the role you see a State Government playing in delivery of Aged Care and the actions you will take to support that.
6. The State Government is currently conducting a review of local government electoral processes. One contentious proposal in the review requires prospective councillors to declare their political party membership. Will you support or oppose that requirement if elected?
7. Finally, please feel free to comment directly in relation to what it is that you, personally, have to offer which makes you an appropriate candidate worthy of the vote of a resident of the City of Monash.
Thank you for your time. We look forward to publishing your responses as early as possible in the lead up to the election.