The government is reviewing the Local Government Act and proposing to make changes that will make Councils more efficient, transparent and accountable, as well as enhancing community participation.
Here are some of the key new reforms proposed:
- A stronger role for mayors to lead councils
- Greater consistency in council structures (wards) to make elections fairer
- Simpler electoral rolls and voting rules
- Community engagement
- Accountable and high performing councils
- More autonomy for councils to cut unnecessary red-tape
- A consistent, modern rating system
Have a say!
Community members have an opportunity to provide feedback relating to the Local Government Act Review Directions Paper or proposed changes. Feedback can be provided by making a submission or viewing the summary ‘At a Glance’ and completing a quick poll.
Link to The Local Government Act Review Directions Paper website: Act for the Future – Directions for a new Local Government Act.
What do you think of your Council? Do you think changes need to be made?